One Dollar Wednesday... Cookbook Holder



I was perusing my local "Honks" dollar store the other day, and happened upon this little novelty...


It wasn't a bad idea as it was, but I could see that it had much more potential. I popped open the box and surveyed my pieces...


A trip to the Spray Paint Place for everything, and after a quick coat of primer we were on our way...


I gave the pieces a coat of aqua~ a color I seem to be obsessed with lately~...


While they dried, out to the Spray Paint Place went my flatware. I painted them with a metal primer, and a coat of Krylon Ivory.


I traced my wooden pieces on scrapbook paper, cut the scrapbook paper to size, and attached the paper to the wood(2 pieces) with a coat of ModPodge.


I assembled my "novelty item" to this point.


I knew I wanted to wait to ModPodge my last piece, after assembly, so I could cover these...



I ModPodged the last piece of paper, and sanded my scrapbook paper edges. Then I did one more quick coat of ModPodge on the whole thing to seal it.


While the last coat of ModPodge was drying, I started the antiquing process of my flatware.


I brushed the antiquing medium on, let it sit for a minute, and then rubbed it off. I got this...


I attached the flatware to the front of my cookbook holder with Gorilla Glue.


Here's the final product...


And here she is hard at work...


Wouldn't this make a FUN Christmas gift for friends or neighbors!