I have a confession.... I could live on white bread and Diet Coke. I have tried so many recipes for homemade white rolls, but this one is the BEST! I make these rolls every Sunday, and my family ~and I~ gobble them up!
2-1/4tsp fast acting yeast (or 1pkg)
1/4c warm water (105°F-110°F)
1c milk, just to scalding hot 1/3c sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 ½ c bread flour (dough will be somewhat sticky, but the less you use, the lighter the rolls)
the remaining stick of butter for rubbing on top of the rolls right as they come out of the oven!
1) Dissolve yeast in 1/4c warm water. Stir in the 2tsp of sugar. Let sit for about 5 minutes until mixture foams up.
2) Heat milk in microwave or in small saucepan on stove~top.
3) Add sugar, butter, & salt to hot milk and stir until butter is melted. Cool to 105°F-110°F.
4) Pour milk mixture into bowl of stand mixer.
5) Add the yeast mixture & egg and mix together.
6) Mix in all-purpose flour, beating to form a soft dough. Knead with mixer for 5 minutes, adding extra flour, if needed.
7) Place dough in warm oiled or buttered bowl, turning greased side up. Cover with parchment paper and let rise in warm place ( I turn my oven on to about 400 for a minute to warm up slightly then I put the bowl in there, like an incubator) until doubled in bulk, about 60 minutes.
8) Slightly punch down dough. Divide dough into 12 pieces and shape into round rolls. Place them, not touching, in greased 13×9x2 baking pan.
10) Cover with parchment paper sprayed with non stick spray & let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 30–45 minutes.
11) Bake at 375°F for 18–20 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
12) Brush tops of rolls with butter.