Soft Ginger Snaps

Remember the treat I mentioned when we were putting together our Countdown to Thanksgiving Turkey? I thought I would share what we made. This recipe is always fun to make in the fall, they are delicious. I only make them once or twice a year though, as our good friend Cookie Monster would say they are a "sometimes food".

A coworker gave me this recipe a few years ago, it is originally from Nikki Evans of New Jersey.

Soft Ginger Snaps

4 C. flour

2 TSP ground cloves

1 TBSP baking soda

1 TSP salt

4 TSP ground ginger

4 TSP ground cinnamon

2/3 C butter

2/3 C shortening

2 C sugar

2 eggs

4 TBSP molasses

Mixture of cinnamon and sugar to roll cookies in

Combine (I sifted) flour, baking soda, cloves, salt, ginger, and cinnamon; set aside.

Beat together (I used my Kitchenaid Mixer) butter, shortening, and sugar until fluffy. Stir in eggs and molasses until well blended. Add flour mixture and beat until smooth.

Pinch off and round dough into balls and roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes (I did 10, they were perfect). Don’t bake too long, they will be soft and looked undercooked, even when they are done.

This makes about 60 cookies, so I was very glad we had cousins over to share with and take some home. These would also be fun to take to neighbors, you don’t want them just sitting around the house or you will be tempted to eat them all!